Menu

Texas Lakes Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Electra


ELECTRA

Electra, located a dozen miles or so from the Texas/Oklahoma border near Wichita Falls, was named after the daughter of local rancher and cattle baron W. T. Waggoner, although the poetic name originally comes from Greek mythology. The community was first called “Beaver” or “Beaver Switch”, far less attractive references than the beautiful Grecian Electra, princess of Argos. Despite an Old World name, Electra is definitely a Texas invention, rising to prominence during the state’s first big oil boom. Clayco No. 1 blew Electra into the new century on April 1, 1911, transforming the rural rail stop serving the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway into an oil boom town with over five thousand citizens (comprised mainly of roughnecks looking for work).

Today, Electra enjoys the benefits of continuous oil and gas production while maintaining its agricultural contributions to the state. The community counts the 1919 Electra Grand Theater as its prize historical landmark and efforts are ongoing to restore the performance palace, originally host to operas, vaudeville, boxing, and silent movies. The community also sponsors an array of events and celebrations each year including the Scarecrow Festival and the annual Electra Goat Barbecue.


Contact

  • Contact: Electra Chamber of Commerce
  • Phone: 940-495-3577
  • Visit Website

Map