In 1860, many hardy settlers entered booming Texas, mainly from the South. Hearing of the good land of the rolling prairies of this North Central Texas area, many stopped in Forney and began their lives as farmers and ranchers. The small village that began to spring up near the rim of the bluff that overlooked the Bois D'Arc Fork of the Trinity River was to be named Brooklyn. Not sure of the origin, it possbily could have been named for the Brooks family that arrived here in the 1860's from thir home in Brookville, Mississippi. By the late 1860's, the Village of Brooklyn was established as the only town and trading center on this prairie land east of Dallas and west of Kaufman. Terrell was not founded as a town until 1873. In the 1870's, John C. McKellar arrived to the established town, and trading center. He opened Brooklyn's first merchandise store near the present day school district administration building. The name was changed to Forney in 1873 so a Postal Office could be established.
This is header region content.