Menu

Texas Lakes Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Fort Worth


WHERE THE WEST BEGINS

United States Army General William Jenkins Worth, hero of the Mexican War, had big plans for a small but strategic spot along the Clear Fork of the Trinity River. The location, known as Camp Worth, was to serve as northernmost anchor in his plan to build a line of ten forts marking the western Texas frontier. Established in 1849, Camp Worth never made it to full “fort” status despite its name change to Fort Worth later that year. The construction of the new line of forts ended up taking place much farther west and by 1853 Camp Worth was no longer necessary. The settlers who had already set up shop around the camp took possession of the site once the army abandoned it, kickstarting the growth of a thriving town in place of the military outpost. Today, Fort Worth celebrates a long heritage established over the last century and a half of that growth, including its highly-prosperous status as “cow central”. By the late 1800s, a burgeoning cattle industry made Fort Worth its capital as cattle drives, railroads, and cattle buyers converged to transform the city into Cowtown, permanently changing the progress and prosperity of the once-struggling community. Fort Worth’s Stockyards National Historic District, along with a world-renowned cultural district, explores and celebrates this Fort Worth heritage.   


Contact

  • Contact: Fort Worth CVB
  • Phone: 817-336-8791, 800-433-5747
  • Visit Website

Map



Upcoming Events