Texas Lakes Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Denton: Archaeology Day at the Woods House

February 24, 2017 - 1:00pm to 3:00pm

Join us for Archaeology Day at the Woods House on Friday February 24th from 1-3 PM! At this free event, we invite you to help us excavate around one of the last known Quakertown houses for clues and artifacts to learn more about the families that lived there. The address for the Woods House is 1015 Hill Street in Denton, TX. Any items collected during the event will become part of the Office of History & Culture’s Permanent Collection.


The Woods House located at 1015 Hill Street, is believed to be the last remaining Quakertown house in Southeast Denton. The house originally stood a block and a half away from the College of Industrial Arts (Texas Woman’s University) and across the street from the original Fred Douglass School. William Evelyn Woods owned the house, which he purchased for six hundred dollars, and rented out to residents while he remained on his farm located near Pilot Knob in Argyle. In 1921 William Evelyn and his wife Alberta decided to move from the farm to the house in Denton; however, during that same year the City of Denton began forcing residents of Quakertown to relocate to make way for a public park. With this decision the Woods family sold their property in Quakertown and bought 8.8 acres on Solomon Hill. The Woods House will face one final move later this spring as it finds its new permanent home at the Denton County Historical Park.



  • Woods House
  • 1015 Hill Street
  • Denton, Texas
  • 76205



  • Free